Sunday, 30 March 2008

Roughing it, man style

Hubby came back today from a "boys weekend" away; you know, the things men do because they work so very hard and need to take a break. It was a MCC bikers rally and hubby and a few of his hooligan friends went along for the ride. Oh, no, please , don't get me wrong, I am not being derogatory about my husband's friends, their club is called "The Hooligans"....I'll end there on that one....

36 hours previously................

He checked a few last mechanical and wiry things on his bike and then proceeded to pack for his trip. Images of *me* leaving on a weekend getaway fill my head and I begin to rather quizzically attempt to picture where on earth my suitcase, my padkos, my camera, my make up bag and my handbag (those being just the essentials of course), would fit on that 2 wheeled contraption..hhhmm.. no boot, no back seat, no CD player, just an awkward looking steering wheel and only sufficient space for your derriere (and not an especially big one at that). I know that hubby packs a little lighter than I do but I began to puzzle how he was going to manage to pack all his gear on the bike.

I watch in anticipation, followed by amazement and as he brings out his stuff. A tog bag, with undies and a clean shirt (he doesn't need other jeans..what ever for?), toothbrush, toothpaste and the travel medical aid kit (that I forced him to pack). He stretches the tog bag shoulder to shoulder like a back pack and elasti-ties Kade's two man tent to the tail piece behind his seat. "Is that it?", I question, "Yup" is his reply "what more do I need?" I'm at a loss. "OK then, have fun". I'm still a little concerned, considering the fact that I pack more than this for a half day trip to the beach.

Why oh why is it so easy and acceptable for a guy to hop on his proverbial bicycle, with nothing more than a pair of undies, clean shirt and a tent and ride off into the midday sun in search for a weekend away and for some censored adventure and roughing it up with his mates?

My jealousy overwhelms me a bit, just for a moment. However, I am very pleased that he had a great time, the things they got up to is another story all together...."the censored adventure"...the unspoken mischief, the code of bikers, what happens within these wheels stays within these wheels.

No comments: