Tuesday, 01 April 2008

Master Inventor

Kade is my little Picasso, my inventor. Occasionally he reminds me of an absent minded professor; so deep in thought that a hurricane could be raging outside and he would remain locked in his own little world. Talk about a male in his box, it starts really young.

I am amazed at his ability to draw, he has a way of capturing every detail, not missing out a thing, even at his young age. When he is not deep in his world of sketches, he loves to invent machines and contraptions, that often seem really far fetched to me, but hey, the future is bright.

Today he approached me with a very complicated looking sketch and asked me to sit down so that he could explain this machine to me. "You see Mom, you climb in this side here." pointing to an image that resembled a compartment from a space shuttle. "hhmm I see." I reply, squinting and looking very interested. "And then you push this button over here and hold on to those handles over there and then when it is finished and the smoke goes away, you will be thin, and you won't be fat anymore."

WHACK!

I'm caught really unaware on this one, it was a good thing he initially asked me to sit down. I hadn't realised that he was so concerned by my body weight, that he felt it necessary to invent an entire machine in order to help me slim down a touch, OK, a big touch. "Do you think Mommy is fat dear?" I asked regrettably, knowing the innocence and honesty of a child's answer. "Oh, Mom" he laughs "yes, a little bit". "Ouch, let me turn around for a moment while you pull the knife out." He didn't get that one and laughed at me again. I suppose I should be grateful that in his very, too honest, answer, he did mention "just a little bit" or am I hoping for too much and grasping at straws here?

I do recall a while back, driving the kids to school and out of the blue Kade asks me "Mom, you know that special milk you buy to help make you thin?" (My fat free milk) "Yes, dear, what about it?" I reply "Well Mom, I think you need a new one, because that one is not working."
These really are not safe comments to make to your unsuspecting mother while she is driving a car, just by the way.

Perhaps it is time to take a hint, especially when coming from the honest little mouths of babes, but until he does manage to build his masterful invention, I fear I am going to have to attempt to do it the old fashion way, with a different brand of fat free milk of course.

2 comments:

Fifi said...

I love this post! Hehehehehe..... As I was reading my 3 year old patted my stomach and said "Momma when you gonna get a small tummy?" Urgghhhhhhh.....

I'm making you a blogging friend as I hope to visit more often.

Melany aka Supermom said...

That's SSSOOO sweet lol Kids can be so honest. Love how he went through the trouble of 'inventing' a machine for you. Cute