Monday, 03 March 2008

Nappies vs "Books"....."books"


Over the weekend, the kids spent loads of time outside enjoying the last little bits of Summer we have left, in fact, I have been trying to give them a sun "overload", more for my own sanity, I can tell you keeping 3 kids couped up indoors for 3 to 4 months is no laughing matter.


Anyway, my little Snuggle Bug, does not like to swim with his nappy on and always asks for "books"(brooks). I am quite happy to oblige because after a few seconds in the pool the real capabilities of a pampers nappy is put to the test, I am still impressed and realise I am not waiting nearly long enough before I change the little bugger!

After all the swimming and slip-n-sliding and sprinkling, it was time to change from "books" to nappy, but Snuggle Bug wouldn't hear of it. He kept those little knees of his so tightly squeezed together, nothing was getting passed them or in between them for that matter. "Books, books" he insisted!!! Fine, fine, we'll get books, could we please just put on some dry books? This was negotiable and we managed to pull up some dry books between some very suspicious knees.


I was completely unprepared for the whole potty training thing with Connor, simply because the other two took forever before they decided they were ready, I mean, Kade was almost four before I could take off his night nappy and Caley was 3 and a half. Connor is only turning 3 in May, so I was completely unprepared and, sadly must admit , not in the mood for this. I have spent the last three weeks in tooth hell, have been a HELL of a mother and wife because of it and was really not in the mood for accidents, so as nicely as I could possibly threaten the little bugger, I did just that.

OK, so I wasn't that mean, he's my little Snuggle Bug after all. It was more of a begging reminder, please, please don't wee wee in the "books", please use the toilet. My "big talker" just gives me a nod and while they were still running around outside I didn't feel too much panic and every now and again I called out to check if he needed to weee-uh as he puts it. When he decided now was the time to weee-uh we would dash for the nearest facility and voila!!

My little Snuggle Bug, party in the potty time. Hooorray!!


He insists on doing it like the bigger kids and refuses to use the step or the kiddie toilet lid. It is half hysterical and half nerve wrecking watching him cautiously climb on the toilet in the most indescribable and awkward manner I have ever seen and then stretch his little legs right across the top of the toilet like something that resembles "the splits" from ballet class. Thankfully the way he has chosen to sit gives the "little hose" nowhere else to go but into the toilet, phew.


We did some serious negotiating at nap and bed times, (which thankfully turned in MY favour) and I was allowed to put a nappy on him at nap and bed time only and he wore his "books" the rest of the time, incredibly he spent the whole weekend running around happily and dry in his "books".


Today we went to show off for the teacher. I loaded the school bag with probably half a dozen undies and shorts and a few nappies, just in case the teacher gave up. I Stressed my way through the 45 minutes it takes to get through all the schools; his is the last stop, (stopping at each school loo, just in case, but no, no weee-uh) then hoping and praying that he wouldn't shout weee-uh in between lanes in the one spot where I just couldn't stop. I Padded the car seat with towels just in case we couldn't stop in the centre lane to take a wee-uh on the nearest anything that could be peed on!!! We made it to school high and dry and he played ever so coy for Aunty B. I think I made a bit too much of a fuss and, if he could talk, that would probably have been the point where he would have said "for goodness sake woman!! quit already, they're just freaking underpants!!"

To my delight I went to pick up Snuggle Bug from school and found him in the very same, and dry "books" and shorts he had on when we left. He had gone to the toilet about a dozen times I was told and made two weee-uh's, and had no accidents.


I am so proud of him, and often I feel a little guilty that I underestimate him because he is the "baby" in the family and at times like this I realise my baby "Snuggle Bug" isn't going to be my baby forever. It may sound a little silly but being in nappies is one of the last "baby like" things that he still does so I guess in a way it is sad, knowing that my kiddies ARE all going to grow up. I am holding on to the one hope that, my snuggle bug, who cuddles into my neck when he goes to sleep will still want to snuggle with his Mommy every now and then, even when he's a big boy.

1 comment:

Gus said...

Well done, Tanya. You are a gr8 blogger! Enjoy!