Friday, 07 March 2008

Complicated Women

Who would have thought that the universal (often alien, it has been said)phenomenon that is a woman, actually begins from a very early age. That the complexities of being female don't necessarily begin at puberty as I have lately discovered via a particular little Madam that resides in our household.

I'm not that experienced on the whole Love languages concept, I have all the books by the way, I just never really got around to reading them. I was very curious to learn my husbands love language, which, as the bad wife in me is about to reveal, I still do not know. He is rather complex, the strong silent type, that nothing seems to phase, or at least doesn't show it, doesn't get all gaa gaa over gifts, in fact I think last years Valentine's chocolates are still lurking in the back of his cupboard.

When it comes to the love languages of children, (another book I have got but haven't gotten around to), I have discovered without a doubt that my daughter doesn't have one love language, she has them all. Madam fluff is a quality attention seeking, gift loving, affirmation craving, touch feely huggy complicated little female. Unfortunately one of the things I am least able to offer her in the afternoons when it is time to do Kade's homework is obviously attention and quality time, which is exactly the time when she wants it..go figure!....

I had a chat with Madam Fluff's teacher yesterday after school and during the discussion the topic came up about how I struggle to get on with Mr's homework because Fluff just won't let us get on with it. Miss Ab's suggestion saved my life and my afternoon..PS...I love you....

Miss Ab told me that during the course of this week they were learning about the letter "S" and suggested that I haul out some old magazines, give her her own little homework book and make her cut out anything in the magazine that she could find that started with the letter "S".
OK, so you're thinking that it didn't need a brain surgeon to figure that out but her next proposal surprised me and made me so happy that this woman was prepared to take time out of her morning to make my afternoons easier, I now love her even more. Teacher Ab told me to send Madam Fluff's "homework" to school everyday and she would tick it and mark it and put stars on it if the cutting and sticking was top notch. Needless to say, homework yesterday afternoon was absolute bliss. Madam Fluff had an absolute ball, being this big school girl that had her own very important, VIP no less, homework of her very own.

Madam Fluff dressed herself up this morning in her prettiest skirt, top and her "high heels" or as she calls them, her clop clop shoes (because we are so very big now) and paraded into school with her diary in one hand (my old one from last year...which I pray doesn't have too much revealing info left in it), her bag draped over her shoulder and her homework book cradled protectively in the other arm.
Instead of the dread and anxiety that befalls me every morning when I take her to school (she still hangs onto my legs when I try to leave the building), I felt this immense sense of pride in this little Madam who thinks she is so very grown up now and is happily sashaying her little hips and clop-clopping up the passage. I feel absolute gratitude and appreciation for her Teacher who probably has no idea how her effort to make my afternoon yesterday a little easier made so much difference in two very complicated women's lives.

1 comment:

Elevengrapes said...

And what type of wife would you be to allow chocolates to lie at the back of a cupboard for a year! Fiona