Monday, 07 April 2008

This is your Sister speaking

I have been thinking a lot of my father lately, I have never had much contact with him in my life, yet I have this yearning to want to have him a part of it for some reason. It may have something to do with the fact that I am now married with children, which he doesn't know yet. It is an urge I have never been able to let go. I have spent a better part of the last 10 years trying to find him.

I have always known that my father had another child with a woman he had dated after he and my mother went their separate ways. For some inexplicable reason while aimlessly tapping away on Facebook this morning, I typed in his name........There he was

The brother I have always known I have, but have never laid eyes on or met. By chance his profile is accessible and I am able to peek into his life and curiosity gets the better of me when I notice a work address and phone number........
I spent the next two hours wondering what to do with this new found information. This is the closest I have been to finding my father in years; I panic. Fear grips me, what do I say?

I pluck up the courage to call a few hours later.........
me "Hello, is this so-n-so?"
him "Yes, speaking"
me "My, name is Tanya, I am "fathers name" daughter"
him "Who's daughter?"
me "Father's name"
him "Oh really, well that would make you my sister, wouldn't it?"
me "I guess it does"
him to friends in the background..."hey guys, hows this for a mind f*#k, I just found out I got a sister!"

I'm confused, he didn't know about me? how could he not know about me?

I have ended up gripped with anticipation and a little resentment.
Anticipation; waiting to hear back from them, it appears my father is still alive and well. New Brother is going to discuss "this" with our father, give him my number (probably make sure I am not a physco stalker) and he or they will call me back.
Resentment; the poor guy seemed completely taken aback and while I have known my entire life that he existed, clearly this was not the case on his end. He didn't have a clue. I felt a little guilty; I mean face it, I called some poor unsuspecting soul out of the blue with a "hey bro this is your sister, can I have Daddy's phone number please". Thirty two years into his life he finds out that he has a sibling. Why didn't he know about me? Is my Father ashamed that I exist? I am not sure what to make of it.

New brother was extremely sweet on the phone considering the circumstances and the news he'd just be dealt with. "I am not sure if you have made my day or ruined it." He told me.

We will have to wait and see. Only time will tell if I did the best or most idiotic thing of my life today.

3 comments:

Fifi said...

It's early days.... and I'm sure the shock of the news will calm. I will pray for reconcilliation and renewed relationships. It must be very tough on all of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow Tanya - that's huge! Well done for being so brave in facing up to the challenge. Good luck for the way it unfolds.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's actually shocking that your father never told him he had a sibling. Just as shocking as him just walking out of your life.

HUGS to you. I hope something good comes of this