Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Techno Mom

I (think I) am most definitely a techno age Mom. When I reflect on the days without my computer and those long lost days without cell phones, I cringe, I wonder, how on earth did we manage? Well, we're all here, most of us anyway, to tell the stories, so they couldn't have been that bad but I'm pretty grateful that we have evolved from that era of life.

I am thankfully spoilt with a techno crazed husband and we are very blessed to have most of the latest gadgets that our "nerdy" generation have now invented for our convenience. (Don't you regret teasing that poor guy in your class with the 4inch thick glasses, who is now a multi millionaire?) You get my point?

When it comes down to housework, I am ever so grateful for my dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer (Any "nerds" reading this please invent a automatic mop and broom!!) and I spare a thought for those poor mothers out there who have to survive without these luxuries.

(Sparing a thought here!)

It was the start of a new term of school here at the beginning of this week and I tried my utmost to get Kade's white (thank you school) shirts clean. I have no idea how kids get them into this state and I do not think I want to know, I chose to remain oblivious, however, this does not satisfy my need to get these shirts clean and show all the other Mother's out there what a capable (cough....not....cough) housewife and mother I am. After the use of some "miracle-stain-removing-over-advertised and clearly misleading product" and tossing them into my ever faithful washing machine, no less than three times, I succumb. We're off to the cleaners. No child of mine is going to wear a shirt to school that looks like it hasn't seen a washing machine since he took it off last term!

I return the next day to collect the hopefully no longer stain embedded items.

WOW, is my first reaction, I praise this clearly domestic goddess of a woman on her efforts as these shirts are probably as clean as the day the were purchased. She looks at me sideways. I continue to shower her with praise and practically insist that she give me the name of the secret potion that did this wonder work. She looks at me sideways again. What is with this woman?
My praising eases as I realise she is not really appreciating my efforts and much as I appreciate hers right now. "Well thank you very much, here's your money, but please, tell me how you managed to get these so clean." I ask one more time.

"Well Madam" looking at me sideways once again, "I just used a little OMO and hand washed them."

............hmph.........................well I guess I will just take that and shove in my techno mom posterior!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omo and elbow grease lol I'm SO thankful my boys have grey school shirts