Tuesday, 19 February 2008

The tooth fairy and the tooth monster

Kade has a loose tooth, yay. It's the fourth one now, but let me tell you this, loosing teeth in this house does not pass by as uneventfully as I am assuming it does in others. Kade's new teeth are so excited to come out that they can't seem to wait for the milk teeth to fall out first. We basically have our very own "Jaws" in the house, running around with two rows of teeth.
The last time Jaws appeared we ended up having to make a visit to the dentist to remove the stubborn little buggers, that, although were as loose as they could possibly be, just refused to bugde!
The second time around and slightly more relaxed about the phenomenon than I was the first time, we decided to give it a few more days to see if the reluctant tooth would fall out, we tried the wriggling, pulling on it and every conceivable pain free method we could think of. Alas! the tooth is still there and today we're off to the dentist again!! Kade is actually quite excited about this, here's why; the last visit to the dentist was his first and I was so stressed out that this dentist would put him off for life (as I am) that I basically threatend the dentist and bribed Kade. The deal that the "tooth fairy" was prepared to make with Kade was, that for being so very brave and going to the dentist to have his teeth removed, he would get double the usual fairy pay out!!! One part for the tooth and the balance for bravery. I can't help but wonder somehow if he is keeping the teeth in there on purpose for double fairy pay outs?? This unusual occurance surely doesn't happen more than once?? Perhaps it had something to do with the brilliant way the dentist handled this first time visitor, by playing "space ship" on his gadgety dentist's chair and beaming him "up to the light", which, even I thought, was very cool!
Personally I am rather saddened that when you get to my age that the tooth fairy doesn't stop by anymore. Since my pregnancies I have had endless problems with my teeth and I now have the tooth monster stopping by, chipping away at my teeth in the still of the night, and then again sometimes in broad daylight. Some mornings I wake up to feel little grains of tooth in my mouth, the other day a cashew nut was the culprit and the one before that a block of ice. In fact my new best friend is Myprodol!! I suppose the tooth fairy only offers money for healthy teeth that are still all in one piece and not if they just fall apart bit by bit!
For Kade's sake I have to put on a very brave face at the dentist ,when, in fact I have openly admitted that I would quite happily give birth again before I have a root canal.
Wish me luck, my appointment is next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a GREAT idea!!! I'm going to try that with Quintus :) Thanks