Thursday, 04 September 2008

The Great Expectations of Fluff

I have never considered myself one who gave in to "party politics and demands" and certainly didn't when the boy's had their birthdays. They were relatively easy to cater for, they both knew who they wanted as guests and what they wanted as gifts, easy, sorted, quick sticks. Madam Fluff on the other hand, has had me rather stressed out over the last two weeks. Every attempt at making the guest list shorter only results in the guest list getting longer as she is absolutely adamant that she only plays with and is bestest friends with all but 3 kids in her class, add to that the "usual birthday party suspects" and a few other invitations, we are sitting on a handsome number of 35 children. Ain't gonna happen chicky bird! And we hit a standoff.

In desperation I approach the teacher, (who, by the way is now my very own personal Agony Aunt, when it comes to Fluff anyway) who always seems to have a solution for everything. A word here, some advice there and the real list of 4 children in the class Fluff is really close to and plays with regularly. I make my way home absolutely relieved at my now drastically shorter list.

Then there's the gift list that is practically longer than the guest list and I have even been advised on how to redecorate her room in order to make space for all her apparent soon to be acquired riches, which range from a new cupboard to a play play microwave and more kitchen equipment than even I own to hair and make up accessories and clothes. Is there anything left in the shop I ask you? Barbies and Bratz dolls were on the list too including some clothes for them "because they can't walk around naked you know and they need to wear something when their existing outfits are in the wash!" And so we have it, I think, until we attempt, at my own detriment, to go through the list again and hopefully make it shorter one last time or perhaps I should call it a day and not bother, for sanity purposes. Armed now with indisputable proof, I must agree with my hubby when he says that fluff is a quantity girl and not a quality girl. (I suppose if the quality came in quantities that would be a different story but with her, the more, the better)

No comments: