Friday, 04 July 2008

Office hours only please.

I have had the wonderful experience lately of having to deal with the banks...hhhmmm....yeah, wonderful...cough...not... Anyway, perhaps it has just been my awful mood lately, yes, I admit, I get moods, but I have had a few phone calls and SMS's from people and institutions after hours and on weekends. I am not sure about you but this freaks me out to no end.

I answered hubby's phone one Saturday afternoon.

Caller: "Can I speak to Mr. Hubby?"
Me: "He's not available right now, who is calling please?"
Caller: "This is so-n-so from the bank."

I explain that I am Mrs. Hubby and ask what it is I can do for him.

Caller: "I need to speak to him regarding such and such, can he please call me back?"
Me: "Sure."

I take down his details and relevant reference numbers etc.

Me: "Can he call you as soon as he returns?" Knowing what the answer will be.
Caller: "He can phone back on Monday after 8.30am."

My blood begins to boil and poor caller gets it.

Me: "Please tell me, why it is that you can inconvenience me on my weekend and after hours, yet I am only able to make any queries with your institution during office hours?"
Caller: "Often when we call people during the day, they are too busy to speak to us."

I'm thinking, conveniently I am sure!

Me: "Tell me." I'm ready for him. "If I call you during office hours and you are busy, surely I would just have to hold until you're available?" (And listen to some very boring announcements and or music and a huge cost to my phone bill while I am on hold awaiting your attention?)
Caller: " Yes, that is right." Beginning to sound very sheepish.
Me: "Well, I guess that settles it then, if you need to speak to my husband during office hours and he is unfortunately a little too busy to speak to you, then I am afraid you will just have to hold. O.K?"
Caller: "O.K. Thank you."

And with that, a very speedy good bye.

It really infuriates me when institutions call me after hours, when they would not be prepared to accommodate me and my enquiries at those hours; when people send me messages as late at 10pm, informing me that my account is overdue (by like a day!). Excuse me, thank you very much but piss off and phone me Monday to Fridays 8.30am to 5pm and if I am busy, you can hold!

No comments: